Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Self-Portrait Tuesday

Okay, my picture didn’t turn out how I wanted it to for self-portrait Tuesday. I think my big mistake was just not planning for it. It was totally improvised while I was going on a walk with my friend Betsy today. We found ourselves on top of a hill and I saw part of downtown in the skyline, really just the largest building was poking up through the background. But I thought it might be good enough for a backdrop and that it might represent downtown Des Moines a bit. So I asked Betsy to take the picture and hoped it turned out well enough because it was too sunny to see its results on my camera. Once I got home I took another look at it indoors, only to realize that I was covering up my one big building I was hoping to get in the shot, otherwise it’s just me standing on a hill. Oh well, she must not have understood the shot I was going for, so this is the result.


I really should have tried for something a lot more fun, like Des Moines has a beautiful capital building. It’s historic and fun to take tours through. Iowa is also known for being home to Madison County, and yes that is where The Bridges of Madison County was filmed with Meryl Streep. And it’s also the birth place of John Wayne, which I didn’t previously know until now. And I also just googled it and realized that it’s only a thirty-five minute drive from Des Moines. Which makes me realize that I’ll have to go visit sometime, because it looks beautiful, and they also have a covered bridge festival in October, I mean how fun does that sound? So here are my stolen pictures of our capital and Madison county, if I were any good at Photoshop I would have pasted my picture in there, but I’m not, so I guess you’ll have to use your imagination.

4 comments:

Mandy said...

I like your picture, even if it didn't turn out the way you wanted it. It looks really pretty there. I love that bridge!

Amy said...

I LOVE that building. And the idea of a covered bridge festival is beyond quaint. Very very fun. I love that you can jump in & learn about this new world that is yours!

Unknown said...

i'm so glad you are taking the challenge!! i'm a festival girl myself, so i would definitely check that one out!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you joined the spt! It looks like a beautiful day in Iowa today! And a covered bridge festival sounds great. The midwest is great for those quaint little events.